Tuesday, August 19, 2008

We bring it on ourselves....

I was window-shopping with my wife in T-Nagar (most crowded place in Chennai). Surprisingly, it was a very pleasant experience and I wanted to stay in T-nagar for a long time. It was very crowded, but it was very organized. The vehicles yielded to pedestrians that were waiting at a cross-path junction. The pedestrians crossed the road on the designated cross-path. The best part was that there was not even in a single vehicle honking!! No dust!! Less pollution!! Very hot though. I see people taking the time to walk to a garbage dump to dispose a small piece of chocolate paper. No spitting!! I watch people smiling and exchanging pleasantries. It was a beautiful day. My wife and I spotted our favorite food-joint and seated ourselves in a corner table. As I was excitedly thinking of my favorite “chilli porata” that I could order, my son performed a “kung fu” stunt and slammed on my face. I woke up from my nap. The physical impact of “slamming” was so much so that I could barely recall most of the incidents in my fabulous dream.

I know. Wouldn’t that be great? The everyday challenges that we go through just to co-exist in the world’s second most populous country makes us tired, unpleasant and unhealthy. The common reasons that we give: the government, the beggars, the cyclists, the auto, the illiterate, the laborers etc. I hear all the time that it is due to lack of education. I think it is more than education. I see educated people (that I know) throwing garbage from their Skodas and Accords. It is the attitude that matters.

There are a plethora of problems in India that are very complex and will take several decades or perhaps centuries to overcome. However, there are some simple behavioral changes, at least among the so called “educated” circles, can bring a world of difference. For starters, it is to consciously litter at designated places. It is not uncommon to see people throw garbage from the tenth floor of their posh apartments. What a disgrace?!

I am really proud of my neighbor who had invited the garbage disposal company to our apartment to discuss recycling options. Thanks to this good Samaritan, our entire apartment complex, uses the recycling bin.

If we could only reflect on the disregard for anything that we demonstrate in our daily grind, a major part of our discomfort and annoyance can be avoided. It is not the system that is to be blamed for all problems. A good system is not a panacea. There are many avenues to avoid problems that we bring it on ourselves.

No comments: