Thursday, October 2, 2008

Running the Red Light

It was 2 am on a Saturday morning when the alarms went off. Although the alarm’s pleasant tone was no music to my ears, I jumped out of my bed to be on time to receive my parents at the airport. As I was mulling over a backup plan for the cab that I had arranged for 2.30 am (to avoid an IST – Indian Stretchable Time – disaster), I got a call from the cab driver. “Sir, I am waiting for you at the front of your apartment complex.” Not a bad start.

As we started moving into the dark streets, I was enjoying the tranquility in the streets. No traffic. No noise. However, as usual, I have always dreaded driving in the night as the reckless drivers run the red light as if they were absolutely sure of the future. My cab driver was no angel. He was running the red light all the time.

Then this amazing incident happened. As we were approaching a set-of-lights at the TIDEL (start of IT Highway in Chennai) the light turned red. I could barely see any movement of life anywhere in the vicinity. On seeing the ‘red’, I noticed the driver shifting to a lower gear. I thought he was just going to increase the speed. The driver slowed down and stopped at the set-of-lights. My dazed eyes widened and focused on the driver.

The driver was very calm and looked as if he had never run a red light. Now, he can’t fool me. The driver read my intrigued face and pointed me to a bunch of people standing at the set-of-lights. Cops!! No guns!! Instead, Cops with a note-pad and a pen!! I looked back at the driver with a “So??” face. The driver said, “If you run the red lights, you will receive a bill for Rs. 1,500.” I was in for a shock. I pinched myself. Sure, I was not dreaming. I was not driving on “Armstrong Boulevard” in Canada.

I could not control my excitement. I was very happy to see the enforcement working. My excitement intrigued the driver. I don’t think he ever understood why I was so happy.

I used to tell my friends that it would be a miracle to see some disciplined public system in my life time. Now, this incident is not only a proof that enforcement of law can work anywhere in the world, it also gave me a glimmer of hope that things will change for the good in India sooner than later.

1 comment:

Kavi said...

This is really interesting ! And energising.

I am wondering how much of an impact supervision and implementation has. This is just so good !

I only hope such excitement catches on and extends beyond boundaries and becomes national culture !!!