Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Decoding one of the world’s greatest mysteries: your woman

Intriguing topics develop during water-cooler conversations at work.

“I did not know that a snake has been living in my car for weeks…..and I was not aware of that except for the hissing sound which I thought was a fault in the car.”

“My car spun over 6 times on 401 and I escaped unscathed….”
Interesting?!

Thanks to many such real life stories that helps us drive our blues away.

One common story that jumps out is about the better halves. Yeah. “She did this, she did that…..I cannot live with it and I cannot live without it…..”

My American friends and I used to debate a lot about cultures and marriages of USA vs India. They used to tease me in a friendly way saying, “How on earth can you marry someone whom your parents think is suitable for you?!! I can never do that!!” I shoot back with a wry smile, “Because I do not want to have 4 kids from 4 different marriages.” Typically, my friends let me have the last word in this topic.

I listened to a sermon in a Church during a wedding. I learnt something priceless. The priest said that over 50% of the marriages fail in North America and when he counseled couples with marital problems, the common answer that heard was, “He or She is not the right person for me.” It was a very powerful and intense sermon and the priest had already captured the attention of everyone in the church. As the priest was about to conclude with the secret of a successful married life, I am sure it woke a lot of people who were day dreaming. (I sure did.) The priest concluded with an impressive punch line: “It is not about finding the right person. It is about being the right person.”

I am no philosopher, especially in this topic. However, since then, I have made consistent efforts to decode the secret of making a wife happy. It has been over 13 years and I am not even done scratching the surface. But, I did not feel bad about my efforts and it made me feel better when I discussed this topic with my 60 year old friend who snickered at me saying, “Yeah, right! I have been doing that for 40 years and I have reached nowhere.”

But, hey, it is not all that bad and there are definitely perks in learning certain exceptional diplomatic finesse. Stop laughing. You will need this. Good luck. Here we go....

Always be yourself
Women are much more attracted to men who display a lot of self-confidence.' You must have seen guys that are none too attractive with a beautiful woman. This is because she is attracted to his self-esteem and personality, which actually make an ugly guy look attractive.

Little things count
If you know she needs help with something, just do it without asking because she will feel like you really do notice what is going on and she will love you for it. Woman do notice and appreciate these things.

Don't take her for granted
Let her know every day, or at least whenever you are with her, that she is special to you and you want to be with her and no one else. A woman wants to feel like she is the most beautiful in the room in your eyes, so if you want to keep your woman happy, make sure she feels that way.

Make her laugh
Women love men with a good sense of humour even though men seem to think that it's good looks that attract a woman. If you can make a woman laugh, she will be much more likely to feel connected to you.

Be sensitive
Try to be aware of how she is feeling. If you are sensitive to whatever she may be going through, she will be aware of it and will definitely appreciate that you care enough to pay attention.

In case, I have rekindled your misery, I apologize. But, if it is any consolation, please read the following:

Disclaimer:
You are strongly advised not to get carried away and try the following at home. These were tried by highly frustrated men with no brains. But, in case you try to be Mr. Smarty Pants, I am not responsible for any reaction from the folks of Venus (Men are from Mars. Right?!).
---------------------
Why doesn't law permit a man to marry a second woman?
Because as per law you cannot be punished twice for the same offense!
---------------------
Man: Is there any way for longlife?
Dr: Get married.
Man: Will it help?
Dr: No, but the thought of longlife will never come.
---------------------
Why do couples hold hands during their wedding?
It's a formality just like two boxers shaking hands before the fight begins!
---------------------
Wife:Darling today is our anniversary, what should we do?
Husband: Let us stand in silence for 2 minutes.
---------------------
It's funny when people discuss Love Marriage vs Arranged.
It's like asking someone, if suicide is better or being murdered.
---------------------
It is difficult to understand GOD. He makes such beautiful things as women and then he turns them into Wives.
---------------------
Before marriage, a man will lie awake all night thinking about something you say. After marriage, he'll fall asleep before you finish.
---------------------
There's a way of transferring funds that is even faster than electronic banking. It's called marriage.
---------------------
Girlfriends are like chocolates, taste good anytime.
Lovers are like PIZZAS, Hot n spicy, eaten frequently.
Husbands are like Dal RICE, eaten when there's no choice.
---------------------
Man receives telegram: Wife dead-should be buried or cremated?
Man: Don't take any chances. Burn the body and bury the ash.
---------------------
Prospective husband:
Do you have a book called 'Man, The Master of Women'?
Salesgirl: The fiction department is on the other side, sir.
---------------------
There was this guy who told his woman that he loved her so much that he would go through hell for her. They got married and now he is going thru hell.
---------------------
Fact of life: One woman brings you into this world crying & the other ensures you continue to do so for the rest of your life!
---------------------

6 comments:

Kavi said...

By god..You have taken the blogging to a different height altogehter Praveen !

Beware..marriage counselling has its pitfalls too !!!!

:)

Reading The Green said...

Thanks, Kavi. It is truly exhilarating.

One marriage is hands full already. Counseling?! Forget it.

:)

Vivek Miranda said...

Well written. Truly you are an experienced groom. Did any one say that you don't teach how to be a great husband... You learn to be one ...only by experience. This is my take from life. Each man for himself.....

Vivek

Reading The Green said...

Vivek annan, Well said.... And, patience is the key.

Anonymous said...

Happened to stumble on your blog serendipitously (d'ya like the word. Had trouble spelling it :)) You left out one thing, buddy. The girl needs some freedom. Most marriages are successful in India not because the parents arranged the wedding but because the women have lesser say in the family, both socially and financially. The domestic violence is so bad in India that you have to build shrines for these girls for their tolerance and patience.

In an optimistic note, your write-up was not really bad. You are a sunny guy. Hi to you.

Reading The Green said...

Hello Anonymous,
Thank you for stopping by and I appreciate your frank feedback. In the movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, the mother of the bride tells her daughter before the wedding, "Man might be the head of the family, but woman is the neck of the family and she can make the head turn where ever she wants to."

I am not condoning the social burdens on women, but in each culture there are certain practices that might seem weird from outside.

I think, in any family, from east or west, there are struggles with balance of power between the humans from Mars and Venus. The family convenant is informally agreed upon based on strengths and weaknesses of the partners for the collective good of the family.

Hope this makes some sense.

And, yes, I like the word. :)