Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The good old lifestyle for better health.

Cough!

You will be served milk with turmeric and pepper!!

Body heat!!

You will be given the option of selecting the least torturous option: oil massage or fenugreek!!

To fight cancer, you will be stuffed with one-tomato-a-day as a precautionary measure!!

We wondered! Where the heavens did this grandma come from?! We dreaded those times of misery and would do anything to get away. We were subdued by sheer physical power to dump that organic medicine into our body. Most of the time, physical force is not required. I am sure we all remember the infamous look by our parents or grandma that would have wilted a starched collar or a stare that would have humbled Clint East Wood.

In retrospect, we all have our fond memories of someone who took care of us in an organic lifestyle. Now, having become parents we long for those days and feel sad that those organic lifestyles are almost extinct.

Invariably, in every household, there is a cupboard dedicated for organizing the pills-of-the-family. Thanks to the fast paced lifestyle of one-pill-solution for everything. What about after effects?! Who cares?! If I can get through today, I am fine.

Having grown up in a village for 18 years, we had Organic food and we were not aware of inorganic food. On the contrary, fancy tinned food was a luxury and we used to look at it with such admiration.

Like many others, I have spent a significant part of my weekend life in buying groceries - during my 10 years in the US and Canada - at supermarkets. Every single time I walk into a supermarket there is one very small - but expensive - aisle that makes me smirk to myself. It is the Organic section. This is the pinnacle of hypocrisy: We humans have evolved and advanced so much especially in Health and Medicine and, yet, there is hardly any food item that is without preservatives and artificial flavors.

India was immune to this human weakness. Not anymore. On my recent visit to India, I was shocked to see the pride of people in demonstrating their Coke and Pepsi, trying so hard to get accepted in a certain social class. Thanks to the power of advertising!!

About a decade back, I too was blinded by the euphoria of fanciful preserved food. But, I have turned the corner and have realized the values of good old healthy habits. Since then I have hardly gone to the doctor or had a pill. But, it took me so many years to cultivate certain habits. Over the years, I have practiced certain good habits which have made me a better person. I thought of sharing some of them...

• Drink 1 litre of water first thing in the morning to cleanse your bowel.
• Milk with oat bran for breakfast. Add some honey for sweetness. Do not add honey when the oats is hot.
• Have a sandwich around 11 am.
• Have salads for lunch or dinner. Salad can have Iceberg Lettuce, Baby Carrots, One Tomato, Sunflower seeds. You can be creative in selecting the vegetable as per your taste. For salad dressings, I like Thousand Island.
• Have a snack around 3pm: Almonds or Digestive biscuits
• For dinner, I love to have healthy Chinese stir-fry preferably using Olive oil. Typically, I have my dinner at 6pm and then a cup of milk at 9pm.
• After every meal, I have a cup of green tea (after one hour from the meal time).

Yes, it might sound crazy, but you will get used to it, especially if you are physically active in terms of running or swimming or walking. Exercise is an important part of the lifestyle and it can prove to be a great motivator to restrict you to healthy food.

Hey, I heard that.

I am not a sick minded nut to follow such a routine. In fact, I surprise most of my friends with my junk-food habits. I do take breaks from this routine. I pat myself on my back by treating myself with a juicy, deep-fried, high cholestrol burger from KFC, occasionally. I have never missed a week without a double toasted Sesame Bagel with two layers of herb & garlic cream cheese. I used to have a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts at a time. I don’t miss a chance to have that roadside pani puri. I try not to notice where the vendor is scratching with his fingers before dipping his hands into the the pani-pot. (Yikes, at times, I am disgusting!) But, the point is that I do enjoy life.

I think we are constantly looking for solutions - in the shelves of the supermarkets – to fix our health problems. A bit of reflection into our own once-upon-a-time forgotten simple and healthy lifestyle will pave the way for a healthy future.

So you want to enjoy life? Stock up your immune system with plenty of greens and anti-oxidants. You can have guilt-free Krispy Kreme donuts and plenty of quarter-pounders at McDonalds.

Good luck. Have A HEALTHY AND A HAPPY 2011.

12 comments:

Kavi said...

Simply inspiring Praveen ! Simply inspiring !!

Thanks for sharing !

:)

Reading The Green said...

Thank you, Kavi, for those encouraging words.

Bold Thoughts said...

Another wonderful article. Thanks for sharing!

Reading The Green said...

Thank you, "Bold Thoughts", for visiting my Blog and I am glad you liked it.

Anonymous said...

Does this routine includes the holiday season too? Wish you posted some pics of almonds or digestive biscuit with green tea instead of VAADA and PAAYA in ur website :) Anyway enjoyed your blog. Keep going!

-Niraja

Reading The Green said...

Thank you, Madam Niraja. Pictures of "Vaada and Paayaa" are to make people like you jealous.

:)

Viji said...

Hey, I didn't know you were into running and you follow a healthy diet. I do the same too. My goal is to lead a medicine free life. I totally agree with your views on organic stuff. I cut down on canned items/items with preservatives while in the US itself. I do treat myself to junk food once a week. It is nice to lead a healthy life!a

Reading The Green said...

Hi Viji,

That is a pleasant surprise!! Thanks for your comment.

Yes, this lifestyle makes one's life exhilarating irrespective of the troubles that life throws at people.

Sajan said...

Hey Praveen...you rock! Was an inspiring read.

Reading The Green said...

Thank you Sajan, for visiting my blog.

Unknown said...

At last you can add "This is the secret of my youthfulness".
I agree with you.
A healthy food habit can improve your lifestyle without pills.

Anonymous said...

The simplest and the best diet for a healthy lifestyle...I think we should also intake dal and fish but not everyday........Thanks for revealing the secret behind ur smartness:)