Friday, February 18, 2011

My First 10k Run

It was absolutely intriguing to hear people talk about Running as if it is some kind of a solemn phenomenon.

"It is exhilarating"
"It is the epicenter of discipline, motivation, health, focus etc."
"Whatever you want to achieve, is very much within your control and Running can make you believe in that."

I wondered how on earth could this be possible?! If the secret of success could be that simple, then why do we not see that many people running?! Hmm, I wondered and got into running last month. I had to discover and experience the high myself.

I just couldn't resist. So, I started running. It is so true that the mind pushes the body and the body pushes the mind. Run...Run...Run. The "HIGH" feeling is very special and running in Oman makes it even more special. While you are about to throw the hat, the scenic Oman eases the pain and inspires anyone to run.




I set myself a target of 10km for 2011. On hearing my target, a marathon enthusiast smirked, "10km is nothing. You will do it in no time." Well, I did not believe it until today. I did my first 10K today. And, the feeling is incredible. Well, now I know that 10K is not much, but it is a significant step forward.




Now that the first target is done within one month, my subconscious mind has set a target of 21km - half marathon. Well, I guess, that's how addictive running can be.

4 comments:

Kavi said...

Addictive it is ! Pushing yourself to do something that we have been doing as a species from time immemorial is indeed something !

Great to hear the 10 K ! Not looking forward to you finishing at 21 KM. am looking at you breezing past 21 KM and finishing at 42 KM

:)

Manjur Morshed said...

Congratulations !! Its amazing to acheive a target of 1 year just within 1 month. At this pace, I hope, you will be able to achieve half marathon (21K) in next 3 months and full marathon(42K) by the end of 2011. Happy running......

Reading The Green said...

Thanks Kavi for raising the bar and inspiring me to look forward.

Manjur, Thanks for the encouragement. It is good to see you comment in my blog. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Nice..Keep at it it..
Watching people run looks so effortless and easy
Know its otherwise..
Must've been so exhilarating to finish ur first mark..Congrats!
All the best on your next one..
Yes, the beautiful beach stretches in Oman are an inspiration in themselves to keep running
For me its walking..for now :)