Sunday, September 14, 2008

Forces of Nature

I have had the privilege of acquainting with many true friends in my life. I have lost some good friends too. Not due to a strained relationship though.

Subconsciously, I had shied away from few friends and have regretted immensely. However, not surprisingly, when I have had ran into a lost friend after many years, we have had connected instantly and exchanged pleasantries about how it seemed as if we had been in touch every single day.

Boston, MA - August 15, 2001: My friends and I stepped out of the office to a mall in Beverly. As we were driving in my friends Explorer, we casually discussed about starting a non-profit organization to help the downtrodden in India. As we were seated in one of the tables in a food court at a Mall in Beverly, (Boston, MA), we jotted the plan on a paper-tissue and little did we realize that our dreams would transform into a non-profit organization called Next Generation Foundation. Frankly, I was basking in the steadfast dedication of my friends, who considered helping the under-privileged kids as something that was larger than life. Over the years, although, initially, I was actively involved in the organization, I had shied away from the mainstream activities and gradually disappeared into obscurity.

Chennai - July 2008: I was enjoying my morning walk, by the coast in Chennai, snaking through the regulars (walkers), with my face down trying to concentrate and visualize a positive future. A loud, gruff voice called out my name with such firmness so much so that the person cannot be a stranger. As I was jolted out of my deep-thoughts, it took me a few seconds to collect my thoughts and respond. It was no other than the friend in Boston who was vacationing in Chennai. I had moved to India in 2006. Imagine this!! My friend is living in Boston and I am living in Chennai. We lost touch and here we are standing in front of each other, absolutely stunned by the sheer “Forces of nature”. It was a mind-blowing experience and the best was yet to come.

Since the moment I had disappeared into obscurity, my friend had pursued me many a times to get active with our organization that we founded so passionately. Although there was not a day that went by when I had not felt guilty about my silence, I had conveniently shied away unabashedly. Unsurprisingly, we connected instantly and I was hooked again. Perhaps, it was the bottled energy and emotions that made me embrace the opportunity with all my heart.

I felt liberated and I made peace with myself about a passion that I once pursued so vividly, but failed to follow through.

As we exchanged pleasantries on that beautiful morning in the beach, my friend casually talked about the “Dharma Yuga” project and how that can be coupled with an exchange program across schools in India and the US. I was impressed and wanted to be part of the action again. A residential school has shown interest in participating in the exchange program. As part of the program, the school would help educate over 1000 poor children.

Next Generation Foundation (NGF) is a socio-charitable organization striving to create a revolutionary drive within people to make the social changes that humanity needs. One of our missions is supporting education of underprivileged children. NGF is built on the foundations of peace and prosperity to all of the humanity. We believe that every child across the world should have the equal and fair opportunity to choose their own destiny and build a better future for mankind. We have taken our first step towards this belief. We have started with our home, India, by extending help to the underprivileged children living in this world's largest democracy. In the long-term we should be able to extend charitable help to other parts of the world. Come and join us in this revolution. (www.nextgenfoundation.org)

It is amazing to think of a natural or spiritual force that would pull some strings to orchestrate the daily events of human life. Well, this time, I am glad it was for a happy eventful morning.

No comments: