Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Hero Across The Street

I was seven years old and it was a sunny day in Tuticorin where I was going in a cycle-rickshaw with an uncle. He asked me what I wanted to be. I told him that I wanted to be an Engineer. He asked me why I wanted to be an Engineer. I told him that I wanted to be an Engineer so that I can become like my uncle. After several years, this event made me realize that I am nobody if I had not lived across the street of this great man. Several years later, amazingly, with out preparation, I quoted my uncle, during my M.B.A interview, when they asked me why I wanted to pursue M.B.A. That moment I knew who was behind my success all the time. The intriguing thought is that he has never once motivated me verbally. It is probably his imperious look that did all the talking to me.

I have watched him every single morning, afternoon and evening, kick-starting his scooter and zooming to work like a young boy. He would not bother opening the gate for him because he knew I would come running on hearing the soaring sound of his scooter.

Fear was not part of his vocabulary. Once a policeman came to his doorstep and demanded for some money. I was really scared and amazed to watch him threaten this poor policeman. Another time, it was in Madras where I was ferrying him around the city for his errands in a scooter. He asked me to slow down by a coconut vendor for directions. As a faithful servant, I stopped as instructed. There was a muscular coconut vendor with a knife in his hands and, obviously, he did not appreciate the greatness of this man. Having known my uncle for years, I was not the happiest kid on earth at that moment. Even today I remember the way uncle spoke with this vendor and the startled look on this vendor’s face. Within a few seconds, the tough-speaking vendor became very obliging and I still remember the look on his face that said, “Wow, this must be a big person”.

As I continued to chauffer him in the scooter, we went past a College. And, that is when he told me this amazing story. This is about a small boy whom uncle took under his wings. He cared for this little boy and cared for him just like his own son. This little boy became a man. This man struggled with his studies at that time for various reasons. But, uncle never gave up on him and would never agree for this man to fail. Today that boy is a very successful man. He even has uncle’s name as his initial. He is no other than my dad. If my uncle had not done that for my dad, I am nothing today. Not many people know the good side of this great man. Later on, I learnt that uncle’s mum died on periyappa’s lap asking uncle to promise that he will take care of his brothers. So he did.

As my uncle has passed away, I thought of writing a few words because of two reasons. One, I am sad. Second, I want to make sure that my kids know that we once knew a legend in our family.

There is no end to talk about his greatness. There are some incidents that cannot be told. I will treasure those thoughts and hold it dear to my heart.

1 comment:

Kavi said...

I guess our heroes reside with us and guide us through the meandering paths life takes us through !

he sure has been a hero for you. thanks for sharing !