Monday, September 22, 2008

A matter of principle....

Having lived in Chennai for almost two years, I am very wary of people trying to make a killing for even the simplest service that they offer.

One of my relatives had offered to send three laborers to help me move to another apartment. Although I completely trusted my relative, I was very wary of these laborers. They were quite professional and quick in moving. I deliberately dealt with them seriously to avoid any exploitation.

As they had finished their work, I acknowledged the completion of work and went inside to fetch my purse. Having gone through some nasty haggling experiences, I was prepared with exact change in my hand and another set of money in my back pocket for the final part of negotiation. When I came back to the front door, to my surprise, I saw them walking away. I hurriedly called for them and offered them money. With a grim face they refused to take the money. I knew that they were about to create a ruckus. As I read their faces, I realized that their faces did not exactly reflect their gesture of refusing the money that was offered.

“Sorry sir, we will not take any money.” For a minute, I felt very ashamed for being prejudiced. I insisted that I will talk to their owner. They refused again. I called my relative and told him that whatever I am giving is in addition to the actual fee that will be invoiced to me. The best was yet to come. What my relative told me truly blew me away. He said, “Praveen, even if I ask them to take money, they will not take money.” I was stunned at the principle that those laborers demonstrated. Perhaps, the highly paid executives at Lehman Brothers, Merrill Lynch and AIG have something important to learn from these poor laborers who survive on daily wages.
Now, I was very determined to pay them double. My persistent nagging and pleading made them accept the money with much reluctance.

I called my relative again and told him how impressed I was with his management skills for without his superior people management skills, he would not have a great team that has, perhaps, never stepped inside any kind of school in their lives. For those poor laborers, after a long day of hard work, more than any material rewards, what mattered most was the principle that they live by every day.

1 comment:

Anton Prakash said...

This is real good to know. Are they organized in some manner that will help leverage this into something that makes it win-win for everyone ? Even in the US, the moving companies are notorious and Better Business Bureau has one of the highest rated complaints on them. When we moved from New York to California years ago, we had a first hand experience. However, within a year we needed to move again from the rented apartment to our new home and I was prepared to be manipulated/haggled/cheated. However, I heard about this company "Delancey Street Movers" based in San Francisco that employs ex-cons as employees and they have ethical standards that is unmatched. And it is true. Ironically, having a group of felons move your things in a truck may make a lot of people quite nervous. But the level of honesty and professionalism shown in the gig is well appreciated and I probably have given several dozen referrals for their service and NEVER heard a single complaint. It is also a satisfying experience knowing that these people are getting a second shot at living a normal life.